If all you know is that Virginia is for lovers, you need to read these 6 additional facts
1. Virginia is nicknamed "Mother of Presidents" because eight United States Presidents were born in the state (more than in any other US state). The Virginia General Assembly is the oldest continuous law-making body in the Western hemisphere.
2. The state has an average of 35-45 days of thunderstorm activity with an average of 42.7 inches of precipitation a year, and forests cover 65% of the land.
3. By 1676, as much as 80% of the population were or had been indentured servants. In 1860, more than 30% of the population was enslaved. However, in 1989, Douglas Wilder became the first African American governor elected in the United States.
4. More Civil War battles were fought in Virginia than anywhere else.
5. The state's Hispanic population rose by 92% between 2000 and 2010.
6. Agriculture, though significantly less important over the past fifty years than it was formerly, is still the largest single industry in the state. Tomatoes are the most profitable crop. Virginia is also the largest producer of seafood on the East Coast.