1. Nevada City is the county seat of Nevada County, and was, in 1850, the most important mining town in California. Many of the downtown buildings are historical landmarks, including the National Hotel -- one of the oldest continuously operating hotels west of the Rocky Mountains.
2. Nevada, Missouri, is named after Nevada City because a county clerk there had been a miner.
3. The current basis of the local economy includes government services, tourism, timber and commercial services.
4. In spite of the word nevada (Spanish for "snowfall") in the name, Nevada City seldom sees snow. This Sunday, it was warmer in Nevada City near the mountains than it was in Santa Rosa (where we live, about 33 miles inland).
5. Nevada City hosts two film festivals, monthly Artwalks during the summer, various bicycle events (such as the Amgen Tour of California and Nevada City Bicycle Classic), and any number of other festivals and cultural events.