Monday, December 14, 2015

3 Alternate Hymn Versions we Heard During 2015

When I was growing up, Morning has Broken was in the hymnal our church used, but whenever it was mentioned, someone was sure to say, "It's not the Cat Stevens version, you know." I never quite understood what the deal was; to me, the song was the song -- I didn't particularly notice variations in arrangement.

Over the past ten years or so, classic hymns have been adapted to a worship style that's more drums and guitars than piano and organ, and even I've noticed. In addition, hymn variations and new songs that use some hymn lyrics seem to be more common than the original versions.

Here are three variants we've heard this year:




3. Fairest Lord Jesus (to the tune of Morning has Broken, but no mention of Cat Stevens)


-- Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment